- To review the definitions of microcirculation, microcirculation, and hemodynamic coherence, as described in this review.
Anatomy and Physiology
- To review the basic anatomy, physiology, and role of the macrocirculation and microcirculation.
Regulation of the Microcirculation
- To develop an understanding of the regulatory inputs to the microcirculation in the control of local blood flow.
- To understand the role and function of the endothelium, endothelial glycocalyx, erythrocytes, and smooth muscle cells.
Loss of Hemodynamic Coherence
- To develop an understanding of what is meant by loss of hemodynamic coherence.
- To understand how pathological changes in these components affect microvascular flow and transvascular fluid balance.
Assessment of the Microcirculation
- To understand various techniques for monitoring of the microcirculation
- To recognize the indication and limitations of various monitoring modalities for the microcirculation.